Romania's regulatory framework for internet gaming has evolved over the years, and the industry is now highly regulated.
The Romanian National Gambling Office (ONJN) regulates the market and makes sure businesses follow the rules. Here we'll go over the many facets of Romania's rules for online gaming.
The Role of the Romanian National Gambling Office (ONJN)
The ONJN is instrumental in the administration of Romania's online gaming market. Among its primary functions are:
- Providing authorization for providers of online gaming
- Keeping an eye on the rules and making sure everyone follows them
- Having owners pay fines if they don't comply
- Preventing scams and safeguarding customers
Types of Licenses for Online Gambling Operators in Romania
A Romanian online casino can choose from a number of different license options. For example:
- Class 1 permits can be used for things like casinos, poker, betting, etc.
- Class 2 permits are for those who provide services such as hosting, platforms, software, payment processing, associates, and testing laboratories.
- Class 3 permits are issued for brick-and-mortar casinos and betting venues.
To legally function within the Romanian market, operators must acquire the relevant license(s) for their activities.
Tax System for Online Gambling in Romania
In Romania, businesses that facilitate online gaming are exposed to a unique tax regime. Important features of this setup are:
- A flat tax rate on gross gaming revenue (GGR): This rate ranges from 1% (for GGR up to €15,000) to 16% (for GGR over €120,000), based on the operator's GGR.
- Licensing fees: Each form of license has a different initial registration cost and a yearly permission price that operators must pay.
- Player winnings tax: earnings are subject to taxation at progressive rates varying from 1% (approximately €15,000) for earnings up to RON 66,750 (approximately €100,000) for winnings over RON 445,000 (approximately €100,000).
To successfully join the promising Romanian market, a Romanian casino online must first familiarize itself with, and then adhere to, the country's online gaming laws. Knowing these rules as a player will help you select a top casino in Romania online.